Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Five Elements: Air - Nick Mason

For the past 9 weeks I have been hard at work on creating paintings for my Drawing on a Theme class. Each student had to propose a theme (connected by subject, materials, or both) and create a number of works based around the theme. I decided I wanted to do a series of portraits for my theme as had no figures in my illustration portfolio. I came up with the concept of portraying the members of Pink Floyd as the five elements, something inspired by Storm Thorgerson's wonderful photographs for the Wish You Were Here album cover. I matched each individual with an element that best represented their personality. So, without further ado, I give you the first painting in the series...

"A Pillow of Winds" - acrylic - 9" x 12"

Air (Nick Mason, drummer): Air is associated with movement, benevolence, and communication. These all perfectly describe Nick. His instrument of choice requires a significant amount of movement to play. Nick has also acted as a communication medium between other members of the band, especially in some of the more tumultuous times. With the aid of Bob Geldof, he managed to help put together the Floyd's famous reunion at Live 8 in 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment