Monday, May 25, 2009

Borderline show

Saturday marked the opening reception for my Drawing on a Theme class' Borderline show. We paired up with the Foundations Department's Non-Objective Drawing class to put on an exhibit of student work from both classes. I think the show was a big success---we had a pretty good turnout and everyone seemed to enjoy the work. I thought I'd post some pictures of the exhibition.

Carrie from Non-Objective Drawing was nice enough to get the gallery plans and map out where everyone's work was going. I lucked out and got a great spot---right at the opening of the gallery!

My friend Sarah's Theme drawings. She portrayed characters from her favorite classic novels. She has Jane Eyre, Cathy and Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, Edmond Dantès from The Count of Monte Cristo, and Alexandra from O Pioneers!.

Classmate Ben did his Theme over awkward moments. Each of the pieces are charcoal and pastel on toned paper. I thought they came out beautifully!

Here are Carrie's pieces from Non-Objective Drawing. Unfortunately the photo does not do her pieces justice. The colors are much more beautiful in person.

Meredith Lear's Theme project. Meredith is originally from Kentucky and her project dealt with the long drive she would take between her hometown and Savannah, GA. The piece was inspired by the boring billboards she would see as she was traveling between her two "homes". Each piece is done in charcoal with a bit of acrylic paint here and there.

This is one of my friend Brittany's pieces from Non-Objective Drawing. She had four pieces that were all about 2" x 12" dealing with portraying a dance non-objectively. She drew all of her pieces on illustration board with pencil and ballpoint pen. They are so brilliant and detailed, and really remind me of Roger Dean's work.

This was done by my classmate Jess. She had two other large drawings, but unfortunately one of them got pulled from the show due to censorship (the piece was a bit explicit and we were having the venue at a church). It was too bad since it was an absolutely stunning piece and my favorite from her series.

These were done by my classmate Chris. He portrayed his favorite authors along with characters from their books. From left to right, H.G. Wells, Jules Vern, and Rudyard Kipling.

I loved my classmate Lauren's work. She decided to make handmade journals portraying the Bohemian ideals of Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and Love. For the exhibition she displayed her journals in a vintage suitcase along with things a Bohemian would most likely take while traveling.

And finally, me with the boys!

And if anyone is in Savannah, GA and free this Friday evening, please come to the SCAD Illustration Senior show! It's being held at the Illustration gallery in Savannah Mall from 5-7 pm. You can check out the Facebook page for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment