Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fin


So, I have a bit of a fascination with sharks. I think it all started when I was about 8 or 9 and saw Jaws for the first time. Ever since I've loved them, in all of their various shapes and sizes (in fact, it was a tiger shark tooth that sealed my decision to attend SCAD, but that's another story for another day).

Unfortunately the world shark population has been on the decline, much like many species of large fish, due to overfishing...specifically the shark finning trade. While limitations have been instigated by many countries, they are nearly impossible to regulate, leaving many sharks to be caught, finned, and then thrown back into the water only to sink to the bottom and die. The demand for fins comes mainly from China, where shark fin soup is considered a delicacy.

1 comment:

  1. Your images are always so crisp and powerful. Love!!

    ReplyDelete